Saturday, December 31, 2011

The world isn't going to end in 2012

Well, folks, by now you probably have all heard of the rumors that the world will end on December 21, 2012.

Many of these rumors are based on predictions of ancient calendars that danger is approaching, or that an end is near.

Tomorrow is the first day of 2012, which inspired me to write this commentary.

Movies have been made about the idea that the world will end in disaster on December 21, 2012. I think these movies have been created as part of Hollywood's efforts to spread this fear propoganda, manipulate people and generate more money for their pockets. I have not seen the film 2012, therefore, I cannot form a valid opinion on it.

Needless to say, I think that doomsday predictions are huge hoaxes created in effort to draw attention to oneself and scare others. The problem is, this is not a unique situation. Other similar predictions have been made within the past decade (just in my lifetime).

I often question how one can predict an end to the world. And I do not understand why we as human beings are naive and gullible enough to believe this nonsense.

Facebook, a popular social networking website, has a number of pages convincing users that the idea of an end to the world in December 2012 is a load of crap. I have seen pages titled "2012 is fake," and "Shut up, the world isn't going to end in 2012." My favorite one of all is "In 2013, I will watch the movie 2012 and laugh."

If the world ever does come to an end, let's hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime ... or any lifetime. Once again, that is if it ends at all.


Note: The opinions expressed in this commentary are the sole opinions of the author. They may not reflect the opinions of The Shiretown Blogger's readers or other experts whom the expressed opinions may concern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment