Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Shiretown Blogger Appears in the Bugle-Observer

While covering the presentation and book signing of Riel Nason's debut novel, The Town That Drowned, on Thursday, September 29th at Connell House, I met Doug Dickinson, the newest reporter for the Bugle-Observer newspaper in Woodstock. 
Doug Dickinson is seen here riding in the back of one of the vehicles for the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Man in Motion tour while covering the relay's visit to Woodstock on October 9th.
Doug is a very friendly man and a great journalist. He consistently produces high-quality work and it is a pleasure to read Doug's stories in the newspaper.

While I was waiting in line to speak to Riel and get her to sign my copy of her book, the opportunity presented itself for me to say hello to Doug. I am glad I did, as Doug got out a tape recorder and did a brief interview with me. He questioned me about my thoughts on the presentation, and why I attended. I gladly answered his questions, telling him that I found the presentation interesting and informative. I also told him that the book presentations held at Connell House are great events, and I even mentioned my affiliation with the Carleton County Historical Society (I have been a student member since April of 2010). I began to inform him about The Shiretown Blogger, but I feared any conflict of interest issues that may arise from that. I even went on to discuss the destruction of Woodstock's Island Park (and a scary amount of other riverside property between Mactaquac and Hartland) in the 1960s as a result of the raising of the Mactaquac dam headpond. (Riel's book The Town That Drowned is based on the true and sad story of the flooding of much of the village of Hawkshaw, New Brunswick. Hawkshaw still exists, despite the fact that much of the original community is covered by the Saint John River). Doug listened to my responses and struck up another brief conversation with me after the interview.

Unbeknownst to me, Doug took my picture while I was in line. It was a nice surprise to flip through the Tuesday, October 4, 2011 issue of the Bugle-Observer and see my picture on the page. Though my interview with Doug Dickinson wasn't included, I thoroughly enjoyed the article, along with others that Doug has written.

My picture in the Tuesday, October 4, 2011 issue of the Bugle-Observer. Also in the picture are Riel Nason, author of the book The Town That Drowned, her friend Shelley Dionne, and Shelley's mother, Inez Jones.
I, The Shiretown Blogger, wish to thank the Bugle-Observer editorial staff and Doug Dickinson for including my picture in the article. It has always meant a lot to see my own picture in the newspaper. It was a pleasure meeting Doug and anyone else I became acquainted with at the presentation. I encourage any of you who may see Doug on the streets or at a community event to say a kind hello. I certainly will. 

2 comments:

  1. Well done Nathan. Very pleased to see your work on reporting on events in and around Carleton County. Since the Bugle went offline, you have about the only presence and it does make a difference. I hope that if you're interested in journalism as a career you have a chance to explore the many options available to you. Continue with the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Humble Blogger. Perhaps the Bugle-Observer's lack of a website factored into my decision to become a community news blogger at the age of sixteen. I have never thought of it this way before, but maybe my blog does fill a void.

    I will make every effort to take all options into consideration. Thanks again for your kind words. They are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete